Blog Archive

Sunday, September 27, 2015

orange is still orange

they keep saying orange is the new black. 
he is standing in front me this orange jumpsuit
but i cant see any black, all i see are police sirens 
and my mascara stained cheeks.

that sunday night i lost my best friend.
i slept in his room for two weeks until 
i could pull myself together.
 i wear his favorite hoodie every night 
because it smells like him.
and i didn't know when the next time i got to hug him again.

this sunday night 7 months later,
i still dont have my best friend.
i sleep in my room now.
but i keep his room clean, and his door shut.
and no one is allowed in there.

it may seem like i'm acting like he died.
but as i look at this orange jumpsuit in front me 
the old him did die. 
i see change.
i see a man.

so i keep his door shut. 
so when the new him comes home,
he wont have to see orange, or black.
he can see a life.
and love.
and help.

my cheeks are still stained with my tears,
but i am stronger now.
i still miss the loud music at two am.
and i miss the door always being open 
if i ever needed to talk.

but for now i think ill keep his door shut. 
until i don't have to worry about 
anything being orange,
or anything being black.




song: Rivers and Roads // The Head and The Heart



3 comments:

  1. wow. this came from such a real place and i love the symbolism and just everything about this. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that song and i love this post

    ReplyDelete